Sunday, June 1, 2008

Last Trip to Georgia

These are a sampling of photos from our last trip to Georgia--excluding Katie's birthday shots from El Toreo's, those will be on another post. Saturday night we went to the drags in Cecil, GA.
Scott, Dad, Jarhett, and Mom at the race track

These little birdies had just hatched in a duffel bag in my dad's shop that a bird decided would be a great place to build a nest!


Jarhett holding a baby Guinea

He's no chicken, farm life suits him just fine!

Jarhett holding one the chickens

Mom and Dad's baby ducks huddle in fear in the corner (they really didn't like my camera).

Scott, Jarhett, and Katie fishing at Deer Pond

Katie holding her chicken, "Carly"--remember how small they were at Easter???

Katie helps take the baby ducks to the pool for supervised swim time. When they are babies they have to be watched in water because they can drown very easily (I never knew that, so I thought I'd throw that in).

The baby ducks get swimming lessons from the big guys.

They had trouble getting back out of the pool, so my Dad built them a little ramp and Katie put food on it so they wouldn't be afraid to use it.
All the things we did on this trip make me even more certain that nature and family time is good for my soul. Scott said, "How come you're always nervous and stressed out, but when we go to Georgia and you get out there on the farm, you look totally relaxed?" That is exactly what I've been trying to explain! The kids didn't even argue and never once said they were bored! I am reading a book about how children are suffering from nature deficit disorder because of the loss of opportunities to enjoy and explore nature and it really rings true when I see the kids on the farm.

2 comments:

Dewdrop said...

Were you at the drag races when we were?! Wouldn't that be something? I didn't know you were coming up.

Happy belated Katie.

Queen Annie said...

We were there the weekend of mother's day. It wasn't really planned--Mom just called and said she had free tickets and we had promised Jarhett we would take him one day, so we went up.