Friday, June 13, 2008

Morning Mayhem

This morning I was abruptly awakened by my mom. She came in my room looking panicked. She said she had walked down to the pond early this morning to check on the ducks after their first night out of the pen and she couldn't find any of them. She went down several trails looking for them (or their unfortunate remains) and still saw no sign of them. She was on her way in to tell us to come help look, when she passed their old pen and saw that they had all gone inside their house and were sleeping. Instead of homing pigeons, we have homing ducks. Somehow they found their way all the way back to the house from the pond last night. Our family is so smart--even our ducks are gifted. (My mom's dog on the other hand, not so much...) Today Katie and I herded the ducks back down to their pond, so she now joins the ranks of the talented and rare duck herders of South Georgia. This afternoon my mom and I went shopping for a while. When we got home my parents left for a trip to move more of their stuff from the house they sold in Florida and Katie and I stayed here to hold down the fort. I have important duties--all related to animal husbandry--while they are away. I spent the rest of the afternoon on a nature walk with Katie, taking pictures of the wide array of flowers and fruit growing on my parent's property--and of course pictures of the ducks, turkeys, and Katie. I will have to post them later because my Mom's ISP is too slow and I don't have the patience to wait for them to upload. For now I am just camping by the window waiting to catch the ducks in the act of their migratory passage from pond to house to get an idea of what time they do it. This will help us know when to check on them--and where to check on them. Now I'm off to do some much avoided homework while I keep vigilant watch at my post!

No comments: