Saturday, November 24, 2007

Flower Challenge

This post is a challenge from a gardening blogger who maintains as beautiful a garden as her blog (you can check her out on my favorites links "Blooming Writer"). She did a post of her favorite flowers for this time of year and challenged other readers to follow suit so she could see what their gardens are up to. Well, I must admit that I have no green thumbs and so any plant or flower that can survive without any intervention on my part is always my favorite. These are some garden shots from my house that I took last week --but have NO IDEA what the names of most of these plants are. I'm hoping Jodi can give me hand with that--she is quite the expert. Here are the plants that can survive the wicked gardening practices (or non-practices as the case may be) of the Queen:
This of course is my ever faithful Morning Glory
This yellow beauty and it's beautifully matching inhabitant are unknown to me!
This almost burgundy flower looks somewhat like a Crepe Myrtle (sp?) but none of my others are blooming right now...this one is a mystery to me also.This is a Date Palm in my side yard, it looks cool, but it is VERY messy. The birds and spiders love it!
I have no idea what the GIANT yellow flowers are, but they sure are tall, probably about 10-12 feet tall. I took one shot looking up at them from the ground and I am pretty tall. They look like daisies to me, so I just call 'em Big Ole Daisies--which I'm sure is probably incorrect! The plant below I was told is called a Shrimp Plant, but its not like I would know the difference if it were correct or not.
This plant has such little flowers and they look so dry and kind of like bells and rarely do the flowers all open up at once. Again (here's a surprise) I don't know what they are.
This little beauty is my Tangelo tree which is a cross between an Orange and a Tangerine tree, all I have to say is YUMMY! I could sit under the tree and eat them all day!
I have heard this little white flower called an impatient and a 4 O' Clock, so I don't which if any name is correct. But it comes back every year on its own, so it must like my harsh gardening.
This is a pineapple plant that grew from a pineapple top that came off a pineapple my mom grew in her yard. It hasn't died in 3 years, but it hasn't produced any fruit either. I'm just proud that some thing I planted on purpose hasn't died!
This is my Hibiscus plant and I know that because it said so on the package when I bought it. It came in a pot with two other plants and this one flowers and has grown a foot and a half higher than its friends planted about 4 feet away. The other two also don't get flowers--they just exist. they are green and leafy and and don't grow or make flowers...it's weird.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are fabulous, Annie--and other than the hibiscus and the morning glory, I have no idea what your mystery plants are, but they're wonderful; especially that exciting yellow one with the visitor. I hope others who live in your climate zone have better luck identifying them!

Dewdrop said...

I LOVE the yellow one with the visitor!!!