Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hickory Horned Devil

A few weeks ago at school, someone told me there were two huge worms in the ESE butterfly garden that were as big as a large hot dog. The cynic in me was like, "Yeah right." I had to go and satisfy my curiosity, so I went and investigated. These things WERE HUGE. They were so exotic looking. It was like something you might see in the Amazon Rainforest, not on our school campus. I had my camera phone with me, but the photos I was able to snap did not do it justice. I have finally made time to do a little research on the thing and found internet pictures and information. The "worm" is actually a caterpillar of a regal moth and is called a hickory horned devil. The younger version of the caterpillar is just as astonishing as the adult caterpillar. I am posting pictures I found on various websites about this really cool "bug."



The top picture is a picture of the young caterpillar (which is not the age I saw at the school). Then there are several shots of an older caterpillar that is not quite as large as the ones in our garden. Someone measured one of them and it was nearly 6 inches long. The last few photos are of the moth it becomes. It figures the day that something really awesome showed up at our school, I did not have my camera with me. Lesson learned...

No comments: