Thursday, December 27, 2007

Spider in my Van

The other night I was on my way someplace (I forget where) when a spider started running across the INSIDE of my windshield. I like to look at spiders in THEIR habitats and take pictures of them on their webs, however I don't have much appreciation for them when they encroach on my territory because I am TERRIFIED of them. This spider seemed to enjoy itself as it ran willy-nilly all over my windshield as I screamed and tried vehemently not to wreck the van as Katie laughed hysterically at me from the back seat! Really funny stuff when you're not the one sitting with your lap under a nightmare on 8 legs that are slipping around on glass. I could not find a safe place to pull over to get the spider out and I was too afraid it would jump on me to try and swat at it. (Plus I have a huge superstition about killing spiders--it's VERY bad luck--their friends and family find out and send out assassins after you to retaliate!) (GO ahead and laugh! Kill a spider and see if about 5 don't show up in its place!) Finally the spider darts into a tiny space between the windshield and the dash---thank God! At least I can stop watching it and start watching the road again. My eyes kept darting nervously to the spot where it had disappeared, but it didn't come back out. The next day I find strategically placed batches of eggs on my windshield and one part of my dash. Nice parting gift--I'm going away, but leaving 500 of my offspring to entertain you in my absence. Thanks, but NO THANKS! As I used my credit card to scrape away the eggs I felt a little guilty that I was destroying this little creature's magnum opus. I wondered what Charlotte and Wilbur would have thought of me. Wilbur was so excited when he found out there would lots of little Charlottes crawling around in the Spring. I couldn't find myself feeling that same joy as I hoped that I wasn't dropping any eggs that would later hatch in my van, or that there weren't any batches deposited in places I couldn't see. I know I killed some of God's creatures and that makes me sad, but having a predator-free van makes me happy.

No comments: